help-bison

Re: No Bison 3 in untainted macOS installs

From: Hans Åberg
Subject: Re: No Bison 3 in untainted macOS installs
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2018 20:52:18 +0100

> On 15 Dec 2018, at 19:31, Uxio Prego <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> In fact not so difficult. But it might be good to complement with a package
>> manager.
>
> Yes. This is maybe not going to be popular here, but
> in the light of the other replies I think the best for me
> would be to:
>
> - Develop a 2 to 3 migration guide on an example,
>  smaller than the actual parser but staying relevant
>  to it; as much simple, or as much featured.
> - Stay in Bison 2.3 in early development, for
>  straightforward macOS use.
> - Move to contemporary Bison, if Bison ever moves
>  away from Yacc; for straightforward GNU/Linux use.
>  Then in macOS recommend Macports as per your
>  advice, although supporting Homebrew too, for users
>  convenience, as it is very popular.

The Bison generated parser is platform independent, so it can distributed, and
if you do that, you can move to latest Bison as quickly as possible. Only those
that want to rewrite the parser would then need Bison installed.

> - On performance or multithreading problems while in
>  Yacc mode:
>  1. Proxy all parsing needs in a single thread and
>     queue parsing requests.
>  2. If that isn't enough throughput, move to
>     contemporary Bison finally.

A threaded parser aside, I found threading difficult to debug in general, so
good with a way to turn it off.