help-bison

Re: [OT] Help with bisonc++(1)

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: [OT] Help with bisonc++(1)
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2018 17:46:04 +0200

Hi Kip,

> Le 28 juil. 2017 à 23:27, Kip Warner <address@hidden> a écrit :
>
> On Fri, 2017-07-28 at 09:54 +0200, Hans Åberg wrote:
>> Bison supports C++. Have you tried that?
>
> Hey Hans. I'm aware bison(1) can generate a C++ parser, but I was a bit
> wary of it because it sounded from the documentation as though it was
> more an after thought and not really at the level of maturity or
> quality of one of its typical generated C parsers, or one of
> bisonc++(1)'s C++ parsers for that matter. Perhaps I am wrong?

I would be very interested in knowing what features Bison++
offers that Bison does not.  Yes, you are right, Bison generated
C files first, and C++ was added later.  Yet, the C++ skeletons
were designed, they are not just C code put into a C++ class.

If you saw shortcomings in Bison’s C++ output, please let us
know, and we’ll see what we can do.

Cheers,

        Akim