help-bison

Re: Re[2]: Which one is "better" ?

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Which one is "better" ?
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 18:43:20 +0200

On 31 Jul 2005, at 18:03, Baldurien (club internet) wrote:
Now,  I'm  asking  myself  about  how  bison  store the grammar in the
produced parser :

In  class  I've  seen  how  to  construct  the  LL(1)  table,  and the
transition  table  for  the  automata,  but since I've seen it only on
paper,  I don't know how I could efficently store this like Bison does
?

Bison is currently only supporting LALR(1), which is essentially a cut down and compacted form of LR(1). This is described in standard books on compliers, for example, the one by Aho et al. "Compiler..." (the "dragon book"). You might look into the book by Dick Grune, available online (see the FAQ of the newsgroup comp.compilers, published there monthly). In short, the grammar isn't stored at all in the parser, only the states one sees in the ".output" file.

  Hans Aberg