help-bison

Can't get Bison to work

From: JB
Subject: Can't get Bison to work
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 13:38:24 +1100

Hello again Bison users,

Hope you're all gonna have a merry Christmas! I won't be if I can't figure out my Bison woes :(

AND YES I'VE READ THE F*ING MANUAL. ;-P

My problem is several. One is with Bison on cygwin:

Bison complains that $$, $1, $2. $n do not have types and refuses to make me a parser.

I cannot get this to work at all:

%union {
    int ival;
    char cval;
    char *sval;
    float fval;
}

And I cannot get Bison to link with bison.simple (or bison.hairy) with GCC 2.96 xxxxxx on Red Hat Linux either.

The GCC manual is very unhelpful, I've scoured it for hours.

And then I get error messages from GCC saying that YYSTYPE is nowhere to be found and all sorts of weird and wondrful error messages, like "request for member {whatever}val in yylval is of non-aggregate type int".

This is very confusing. I have never had these error messages before.

Hope you can help. (By the way, please give a command line for gcc that may work, this is the command line I have been using: gcc -o myprog myprog.tab.c lex.yy.c -lbison.simple -lfl).

Thankee,

James