h-source-users

Re: [H-source-users] rework of german translation file — development br

From: koffeinfriedhof
Subject: Re: [H-source-users] rework of german translation file — development branch
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 10:32:06 +0200

bill-auger <bill-auger@peers.community> writes:

> thanks, i have applied the changes - i can clarify these comments without
> running the application
>
>> # Need to check context on a running instance.
>> #: hclient/hlibrary.py:476 hclient/hlibrary.py:484 hclient/hlibrary.py:511
>> #, fuzzy
>> msgid "Data error"
>> msgstr "Datenfehler"
>
> this is a generic error message, used in multiple places - the grammatical
> context is simply like one of these:
>
> * "there was an error receiving data"
> * "a (unknown or generic) data error has occurred"
>
> "data" is an adjective - "error is a noun" - ie: it is an error, and it was
> related to the data struct of a specific hardware component, which was
> detected
> (eg: a network card)
Thank you! The string will do then.

>> # Check context in running instance.
>> #: hclient/gtkclient.py:1110
>> #, fuzzy
>> msgid "Basic"
>> msgstr "Grundlegend"
>
> this is the label of a "tab", one of two, which control the verbosity of
> the hardware details shown, changed by clicking either tab - the "Basic" view
> vs
> the "Advanced" view
>

>> # Possible „Unterart“. Need to check it on a running instance.
>> #: hclient/gtkclient.py:1248
>> #, fuzzy
>> msgid "Subtype:"
>> msgstr "Subtyp:"
>
> this is analogous to the "sub-type" entries on the h-node website, such as the
> drop-down selector on this page:
I'll call it "Untertyp" then if I understand it correctly that it is a
sub from a major cateogory. "Unterart" is more generic and has a more
biologic background.

>> # Need to check context on a running instance.
>> #: hclient/gtkclient.py:1354
>> #, fuzzy
>> msgid "Sign-in to"
>> msgstr "Anmelden bei"
>
> this is the label for the login/logout button - when disconnected, the button
> label is "Sign-in to" - when connected, the button label is "Sign-out from" -
> the grammatical context is that the server name is appended to the translated
> part - eg:
>
> * "Sign-in to: h-node.org"
> * "Sign-out from: h-node.org"
If it is only a website to login, "Anmelden bei" is fine.

>> # Check what happens to get context.
>> #: hclient/gtkclient.py:1404
>> msgid "Offline - No connections will be made until you login."
>> msgstr "Nicht verbunden - Es erfolgen bis zum erfolgreichen Login keine
>> Übertragungen."
>
> i dont see how this could be more clear - it is assuring the user of privacy,
> like:
>
> * "this application is not connected to any network server now; and will not
> access the network/internet (in any way) until you log in to the server
> intentionally"
>
> im not sure why you wonder "Check what happens" - nothing happens - that is
> the
> point of the message - the program detects hardware on the local computer - it
> can send that information to the server; but it will not do the latter in this
> state (offline)
I was wondering about the "connections". They could be of different
types which results in german to different words. In the case that
nothing gets transmitted my provides sentence will be fine.

I tried to find translatable examples, but I gave up after three tries
;) German is an awful language sometimes. A connection could be simply a
connection between two things, or transmitting data (like in this case),
so your explanation sentence would match the message. It could be more
precise if I'd write "…keinerlei Übertragungen" which will implement the
fact that no access in any way would happen.

>> # Singular or plural?
>> #: hclient/gtkclient.py:1280
>> #, fuzzy
>> msgid "The libre driver used"
>> msgstr "Die verwendeten freien Treiber"
>
> this is singular - it is asking which kernel module is currently being used to
> operate the device on the local computer - it is analogous to the "free driver
> used" entries on the h-node website, such as this one:
>
> https://h-node.org/wifi/view/en/2326/Edimax-AC600-USB/1/1/undef/undef/undef/undef/wifi-works/undef
So this would be "Der verwendete freie Treiber". I'll change that later
and resend a patch.

Thanks for your explanations!