gutopia-user

[rgui-user] Re: [rgui-dev] project proposal

From: Kero van Gelder
Subject: [rgui-user] Re: [rgui-dev] project proposal
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 20:22:01 +0100

Hello!

[sniiiip]
> Usage of these interfaces can be combined: Another application can start
> the program as a component (e.g. using CORBA) and ask it to start
> another interface (e.g. the gui) which the calling application then
> embeds somewhere.

Embedding toolkits within each other is not always possible.
mainloop() or whatever it is called does not let start another.
TkAfter can try to handle gtk-events, but this introduces all kinds of
blocking problems. X tries to solve some of this with XEMBED, but
that's horrible, too.

If restricted to the same toolkit embedded within a toolkit,
then there is a chance.

> closing remarks
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I am not a professional in any IT stuff. My programming skills and my
> experience are pretty limited. Something like the proposal above may
> have been proposed before. If so, what became of it?

Both Rouge and GUtopIa died, though GutopIa is at least breathing again.

> That's why I'm asking you of all people to express your opinions.

I like the idea of looking at functionality, instead of widgets.

That's where a new abstraction can be found. It also allows users to
configure something about what they get on their screen, instead of
hardwired nonsense by "bozo" programmers. 'coz I don't want bl**dy
modal windows asking me whether I really want to quit, for the 1% of
cases I accidentally press Ctrl-Q. Other ppl will dislike me for not
implementing them in my apps.

If you can save me the trouble because it's in the toolkit, please do!

Bye,
Kero.

PS: I'm not subscribed to gutopia-user, so I "missed" one e-mail by
Tom Sawyer. I *am* interested in other backends for Wise, but it is
not my *priority*: it's more important to get widgets and their (OO)
relations on a useful & usable level. It's improving, since I write
apps for Wise, but it's far from done.

|  Don't split your mentality without thinking twice       |
|                          Proud like a God -- Guano Apes  |
+--- M38c ---------- http://httpd.chello.nl/k.vangelder ---+