guix-devel

Re: PyTorch with ROCm

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: PyTorch with ROCm
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 16:41:45 +0100

Hi David,

> after seeing that ROCm packages [1] are available in the Guix-HPC
> channel, I decided to try and package PyTorch 2.2.1 with ROCm 6.0.2.

Excellent initiative!

> For this, I first unbundled the (many) remaining dependencies of the
> python-pytorch package and updated it to 2.2.1, the patch series for
> which can be found here [2,3].

Oh, commit 8429f25ecd83594e80676a67ad9c54f0d6cf3f16 added
python-pytorch2 at version 2.2.1.  Do you think you could adjust your
patches to modify that one instead?

> It would be really great to have these packages in Guix proper, but
> first of course the base ROCm packages need to be added after deciding
> how to deal with the different architectures. Also, are several ROCm
> versions necessary or would only one (the current latest) version
> suffice?

As for the ROCm-specific work, I'm not qualified to comment.  I do
support a move of the ROCm packages from Guix HPC to Guix proper.

I think it is sufficient to only have the current version of ROCm; other
versions could be added if there is reasonable demand.

--
Ricardo