guix-devel

Re: doc: installation: fix ~root confusion (was Re: doc: Removing much o

From: John Kehayias
Subject: Re: doc: installation: fix ~root confusion (was Re: doc: Removing much of Binary Installation)
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 04:27:51 +0000

Hi vagrant,

On Sunday, March 10th, 2024 at 9:58 PM, Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org>
wrote:

> On 2024-03-10, Suhail Singh wrote:
>
> > Vagrant Cascadian vagrant@debian.org writes:
> >
> > > but "guix pull" does not update the running guix-daemon;
> >
> > Just to be clear, however, if one were to do =sudo -i guix pull=
> > instead, followed by =systemctl restart guix-daemon.service= it /would/
> > update the running guix-daemon on Debian, correct? Or is that not the
> > case?
>

> No, out of the box guix-daemon is provided by the Debian guix package.

That means the instructions to update the guix daemon in the manual,
<https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/html_node/Upgrading-Guix.html> is
incorrect or doesn't work? Or am I misunderstanding what you meant here?

(I know in the past some discussions have come up about older guix-daemon on
foreign distros, presumably because the packages there don't get updated and a
user wouldn't think to upgrade guix separately? But it seems you are saying you
can't upgrade without modifying the e.g. systemd service definition? This is
also important for security updates to guix itself, of course.)