guix-devel

Re: How to send revision patches to old issues in DEBBUGS so Guix QA can

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: How to send revision patches to old issues in DEBBUGS so Guix QA can look at them?
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 18:39:55 +0100

Andy Tai <atai@atai.org> writes:

> Hi, per Chris's recent comments, Guix QA only looks at (a window of)
> recently created issues due to storage space limitations, which is
> understandable.
>
> However, if I have update (package definition) patches to not very
> recent issues, such as some stale issues sitting there for some time,
> Guix QA does not pick these revisions up.  Then these revisions will
> not be reviewed and would not be merged.
>
> Ideally, Guix QA should look at recent patch submissions to the
> guix-patches mailing list but not sure if that is easy to implement.
>
> Then what is the best way to make recent patches to old issues covered
> by Guix QA?  I tried to create new issues and then merge old issues
> into the new ones but that is probably not a good way to go or good
> thing to do.

As part of changing QA to use the Patchwork series endpoint (rather than
the patches endpoint), I've now changed it to select the most recent N
(currently 200) series.

This should mean that QA will pick up patches sent to an old issue,
which makes it possible to just resend the patches to "bump" the issue.

I think that's a good option to have, but obviously the best approach
here would be to not have patches waiting around to get old and to be
merging patches faster. My current view is that this is possible if we
can get more people involved in patch review, and I've been working on
features in QA (like the "Mark patches as reviewed" form) to help with
that.