guix-devel

Re: Closing submission incomplete since years?

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: Closing submission incomplete since years?
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 13:54:36 -0400

Hi Simon,

Simon Tournier <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Maxim,
>
> For reference [1].
>
> On Sat, 09 Sep 2023 at 18:14, Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On a related note sometimes we have WIP kind of work that stays on our
>> tracker with deeper questions / problems to solve, and I don't think
>> it's fair for our reviewers to have these linger on for years on the
>> tracker (they take a lot of time to get familiar with, and would then
>> require quit more investment to be completed, sometimes with the
>> original submitter no longer active in the discussion) -- I think for
>> these situations it's fair to close it.  An interested person can
>> hopefully find these in the archives and resume work on it if they are
>> so inclined.
>
> I am more or less agree.  Especially for keeping the tracker
> healthy. However, I am missing how “an interested person can hopefully
> find these in the archives and resume work on it if they are so
> inclined.“
>
> Maybe we could have another usertags for tagging this case or another
> tag.  Else, it appears to me unpractical to find these in the archives.
> Well, I personally do not even know how or where to start for finding
> these.
>
> Exercise: find the patches that someone pinged their status from the 10
> Years of Guix event and another person then closed. :-)
>
>     Found it?  If no,
>
>     Hint 1: someone was me. ;-)
>
>     Found it?  If no,
>
>     Hint 2: another person was you. ;-)
>
>     Found it?  If no,
>
>     Hint 3: it was about elasticsearch.
>
>     https://issues.guix.gnu.org/search?query=elasticsearch
>
>     Found it?  If no,
>
>     Hint 4: tag ’moreinfo’.
>
> Well, if just marked as done, then it appears to me unpractical to find
> these in the archives.

If you want to package elasticsearch, know it's not in the Guix as we
speak, and see it as the first item when browsing
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/search?query=elasticsearch, I have some hope
that someone could find it.  Not to mention search engines, which are
also good at this.

That said, I get your point.  Perhaps a 'rejected' user tag would be
useful?  I doubt most users would know to use them though... but maybe
if it's exposed via Mumi it could be helpful.

--
Thanks,
Maxim