guix-devel

Re: [workflow] Automatically close bug report when a patch is committed

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: [workflow] Automatically close bug report when a patch is committed
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 11:33:32 -0400

Hi,

Simon Tournier <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Maxim,
>
> Thanks for the explanations.
>
> On Mon, 11 Sept 2023 at 15:47, Maxim Cournoyer
> <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> >  2. How is Change-Id linked to #65280?
>>
>> Each patch submission ("issue") can have one or multiple commits.  We'd
>> know for sure the series was merged (and thus can be closed) when the
>> set of 'Change-Id's its commits contains have all appeared in the master
>> branch.  The mapping of Debbugs ID <-> set(change-ids) would need to be
>> established by an external tool such as Mumi (which I think is in a good
>> position to do so).
>
> I think it is not straightforward to maintain such mapping.  Because
> Mumi needs to implement a way to extract patches; and there is many
> corner-cases.

It wouldn't need to cover *all* cover cases to be useful; even if it
only worked for 'git send-email' series, it'd still be useful.

> For instance, I am already using a pre-commit hook, how would it work
> in this case?

I didn't think about this case, but if it's common, we could have our
own default pre-commit hook include an escape hatch (e.g., run all
scripts under ~/.config/git/hooks/pre-commit.d) and document that, so
that users could still plug their very own pre-commit hooks.

--
Thanks,
Maxim