guix-devel

Re: [workflow] Automatically close bug report when a patch is committed

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: [workflow] Automatically close bug report when a patch is committed
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 09:53:26 +0200

Hi Maxim,

Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

>> c. how do we get the issue number of a patch containing "Change-Id"? [1]
>
> We'd have to search through the currently opened patches issues; I
> assume using a tool like the 'mumi' command we already have could do
> that.

It would be fantastic if we find a way for mumi to index (via xapian)
the "Change-Id", enabling us to provide a query like this: (is:open and
change-id:<ID>).  I don'r know if this is doable by mumi alone or if it
needs Debbugs to be able to manage the new "Change-Id" attribute.

If there is enough consensus I volunteer to collect ideas and send a
feature request to the mumi and/or Debbugs devels (if we need Debbugs
patches I guess it will be a long term goal)

>> [1] right now how do we get the issue number of a committed patch?
>
> There's no direct mapping.  You have to search by subject name.

IMO a link like this is _very_ useful in helping bug tracking management
(and also for historians :-) ) and we should find a way to manage that.

Also for this reason (other that possibly automated bug closing) IMO
committers should add a "Fixes: <namespace>#<bugnum>" signature (or what
is called in Git) to each commit with an associeted bug report.

WDYT?

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures