guix-devel

Re: Guix and the developer ecosystem

From: Wilko Meyer
Subject: Re: Guix and the developer ecosystem
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 20:55:21 +0200

Hi,

Distopico <distopico@riseup.net> writes:

> 2. Do you see developers as a potential target audience for Guix, or is
> it mainly focused on HPC (High-Performance Computing)?

Developers is a pretty broad and generic term to start with. Considering
Guix is somewhat of a general purpose package manager/Guix System a
general purpose distribution, I think the better question to ask,
instead of asking for target audiences, is, how and in what way Guix
features and concepts can aid and help with hacking on software. HPC is
an area where Guix can be put to good use, but it's also a reasoanble
choice for other areas as well I'd argue.

IMHO Guix has plenty of useful features that, in my opinion, can be put
to good use in the process of developing software. I *mostly* work with
C and Rust, as well as Perl, and less frequently, Python and CommonLisp;
so my experience with Guix is mostly limited to these languages.

Using a guix.scm file for projects to provide a good way to spin up a
development environment fast/to onboard new people, and make use of guix
shell (mostly with --container) while working on software; are probably
my most used features in that regards.

Best Regards,

Wilko Meyer