guix-devel

Re: Binary descriptors for OpenCV

From: Saku Laesvuori
Subject: Re: Binary descriptors for OpenCV
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 17:39:38 +0300

> We should ask what is the FSF's opinion about it, if they have one.
> personally see trained data models as data more than code; so when their
> licensing allows them to be redistributed I see no objection to package
> them in Guix.

No idea whether this is FSF's official stand but in a talk[0] Richard
Stallman said that the training data is not relevant as long as the
network can be tweaked by retraining, i.e. the weights are licesenced so
that modifications are allowed.

I personally see that as a good way to look at them from a software
freedom standpoint. From a bootstrappability standpoint it's more
problematic but I think that in that perspective network weights are
much more like data than software. I'd assume it's much easier to audit
the model by looking at how it behaves than by inspecting the source
data. It's also easier to edit the weights by training the model with
new data than by retraining the model from scratch with a modified
data set.

[0]:
https://audio-video.gnu.org/video/richard-stallman-university-of-pisa-2023-06-07.webm
 (around 58:40–1:04:00)