guile-user

Re: How to abort a read from a socket after some time?

From: Basile Starynkevitch
Subject: Re: How to abort a read from a socket after some time?
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 19:57:06 +0100

On 1/21/24 19:34, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:
Hi Tomas,

Tomas Volf <~@wolfsden.cz> writes:

Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to abort a read from a socket after some time
elapses.  I failed to figure out how to do so.

If the reason you want to abort reading from a socket is because the
socket may not be ready, you could use select(2), which has a timeout
value.

See man 2 select or the corresponding 'select' procedure documented in
the Guile Reference manual.

The poll(2) system call (for details see
https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man2/poll.2.html ....) could be preferred, and has a simpler timeout (milliseconds). It also can deal with more (or few, but numerically bigger) file descriptors than select.

So I suggest using poll, not select.

Regards

--
Basile Starynkevitch             <basile@starynkevitch.net>
(only mine opinions / les opinions sont miennes uniquement)