guile-sources

Re: PATCH: scheme-modules.texi (2)

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: PATCH: scheme-modules.texi (2)
Date: 30 Aug 2003 20:58:34 +0100

    Aaron> I found a couple of mistakes in my original scheme-modules.texi
    Aaron> patch, so here is a newer version.

I've committed this now, with minor editorial changes.

Aaron, there's a slight incompleteness in your explanation: besides
the multiple modules problem, the other reason for load-extension is
to cope with extensions that have been statically linked into an
executable, typically an extended version of Guile.  The idea is that,
in such cases, everything is statically linked and the executable's
init code calls init_bessel (for example).  Clearly, then, you
wouldn't want to do the (dynamic-call (dynamic-link ...)) thing; and
hence load-extension.

If you could update your docs to cover this angle as well, starting
from the CVS 1.6.x branch, that would be even better.

Thanks,
        Neil