guile-sources

Useful Sites # 66 about Europe, Global Defense, Maps and Translations

From: FITA's Really Useful Sites
Subject: Useful Sites # 66 about Europe, Global Defense, Maps and Translations
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 11:02:11 -0400 (EDT)

To view this newsletter in full-color:
http://www.fita.org/useful/useful.html

Really Useful Sites for International Trade Professionals Issue 66 Volume 3
Number 18
August 27, 2003
Issue 66
VOLUME 3 Number 18

 IN THIS ISSUE
OUR FEATURED REGIONAL SITE -- EUROGUIDE
CENTER FOR DEFENSE INFORMATION
MAPSAREA.COM
TRANSLATION WIZARD

Hello, John McDonnell here, with your latest issue of Really Useful Sites for
International Trade Professionals. In this issue I profile a site that will
help you do business successfully with European Union countries. I also found a
site that will keep you up to date on world terror hotspots. one that has links
to just about every map and atlas on the Web, and one that will translate any
language from Afrikaans to Yiddish.

OUR FEATURED REGIONAL SITE -- EUROGUIDE
http://www.euroguide.org/euroguide/subject-listing/

The European Union has been a good thing for international trade, because it
centralized lots of opportunities. There are so many opportunities, however,
that it can be overwhelming. That's why a site like Euroguide
<http://www.euroguide.org/euroguide/subject-listing/> (
http://www.euroguide.org/euroguide/subject-listing/ ) is so useful. Euroguide,
developed by a group of libraries, is a gateway to Web sites which contain
information about the European Union. It's been around for awhile, but it's
been updated so that you can now browse 60 subject categories (everything from
Acronyms to Youth). When you do a search on Euroguide, the links take you to
specific pages within sites, instead of just the home page, so you find the
information you need as fast as possible.

CENTER FOR DEFENSE INFORMATION
http://www.cdi.org

With terrorism becoming a fact of life in so many parts of the world, it pays
for international businesspeople to stay up to date on terror "hot spots" in
the globe. You'll find that the Web site of The Center for Defense Information
<http://www.cdi.org/> ( http://www.cdi.org ) is a valuable resource. Started by
retired senior U.S. military officers, CDI is a non-partisan, non-profit
organization that does independent research on the social, economic,
environmental, political and military components of global security. The site
has up-to-date articles and analysis on topics like North Korea, space
security, missile defense, Al Qaeda, U.S.-Arab military relations, and much
more.

FITA's GLOBAL TRADE BOOK STORE
http://www.fita.org/marketplace/books.php
<http://fita.m.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?uz327937Biz141009>

FITA's Global Trade Book Store
<http://fita.m.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?uz327937Biz141009>
(http://www.fita.org/marketplace/books.php) offers some of the best books and
publications available on international business and importing and exporting.
One reader reviews the book Export Import
<http://fita.m.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?uz327937Biz141010> by Joseph A. Zodl as
follows:

"Zodls book was one of many Ex/Im books Ive looked at. His book is a quick read
and one can easily finish it in one sitting. He has enough detail to give you
an excellent overview of ExIm and also plenty of guidelines and pointers to
strong resources. With this book, you should have enough to take your business
into ExIm without much difficulty. You will have to learn more, or course, but
Zodl gives you enough information to seek the right team and expert advice
(many times free expert advice) and ask the correct questions."

Another reader reviews the book Building an Import/Export Business
<http://fita.m.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?uz327937Biz141011> by Kenneth D. Weiss

"I bought a whole library of Ex/Im titles to learn the trade, and I must tell
you that starters in this business will not find a better book. It is very well
written, holds your hands, yet very entertaining and indeed you learn the whole
business of Export-Import. A decent high-school student can read through this
book and right away open his own Ex/Im startup. And by the way, there is
absolutely no riches overnight. If you hussle, and stick with it, you'll
triumph."

MAPSAREA.COM
http://www.mapsarea.com

I like maps. Maybe it's the visual presentation of information, or maybe it's
that maps make me dream about traveling, or maybe it's just that I like to know
my place in the world. Whatever the reason, I can't resist looking at a map,
even if I'm not going anywhere. If you're like me, you'll love
http://www.mapsarea.com <http://www.mapsarea.com/> ( http://www.mapsarea.com/
). It's a gateway to world maps and atlases, and it's got enough to keep you
occupied for weeks. There are maps of continents, oceans, outer space, planets,
weather systems, and roads, to name just a few. There are also atlases of
information, like a historical atlas of the 20th century, that present
statistics (population, wars, mortality, etc.) in a visual format that is easy
to understand.

TRANSLATION WIZARD
http://www.faganfinder.com/translate

Even though English is the second most widely used language (behind Mandarin
Chinese), there are times, especially if you do business internationally, when
a knowledge of English isn't enough to get the job done. That's when you need
to visit the Translation Wizard <http://www.faganfinder.com/translate/> (
http://www.faganfinder.com/translate ) site. Just type some words in the
translation box, select the applicable languages, and the Wizard will translate
for you. The Wizard can handle a wide variety of languages, from Afrikaans to
Yiddish, and it will even identify a language for you, if you have a document
or Web site that's written in a language you don't know.

We welcome our subscribers to publish this whole issue or articles from it. But
please note that all material is copyrighted by FITA and must be copied with
the following attribution:
"This is copied from the newsletter Really Useful Sites for International Trade
Professionals <http://fita.m.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?uz327937Biz141007>, a free,
bi-weekly email publication of FITA - The Federation of International Trade
Associations. Please feel free to subscribe to this newsletter at
http://fita.org/useful <http://fita.m.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?uz327937Biz141007>."

If you'd like to see all back issues of Really Useful Sites for International
Trade Professionals, the full list is at http://www.fita.org/useful/archives
<http://fita.m.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?uz327937Biz141008>.

SEARCH BACK ISSUES OF REALLY USEFUL SITES FOR INTERNATIONAL TRADE PROFESSIONALS
Use the search box below to search terms in all issues of this newsletter since
February 2001

Please feel free to pass this newsletter on to others.

Published by Federation of International Trade Associations
Copyright © 2003 Federation of International Trade Associations. All rights
reserved.

 <http://fita.m.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?uz327937Biz141003>

TELL A FRIEND -- http://fita.m.xtenit.com/friend.jsp?uid=327937&appid=240&j=9291

--------
Modify your preferences or unsubscribe here:

http://fita.m.xtenit.com/al.jsp?vk=fnk4tuVQ&address@hidden&an=240