guile-sources

Really Useful Sites for International Trade Professionals, Issue 57 Volu

From: Federation of International Trade Associations
Subject: Really Useful Sites for International Trade Professionals, Issue 57 Volume 3 Number 9
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 10:36:06 -0400 (EDT)

To view this newsletter in full-color:
http://www.fita.org/useful/useful.html

Really Useful Sites for International Trade Professionals Issue 57 Volume 3
Number 9
April 23, 2003
Issue 57
VOLUME 3 Number 9

 IN THIS ISSUE
OUR FEATURED COUNTRY SITE -- THE NETHERLANDS
DISEASE OUTBREAK NEWS -- SARS
THE TRANSPORTATION DIRECTORY
INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATION FOR STANDARDIZATION (ISO)

Here's your latest issue of Really Useful Sites for International Trade
Professionals.
This free bi-weekly newsletter reviews useful Web sites from the Web Resources
database
at FITA's International Trade/ Import-Export Portal at http://www.fita.org, an
excellent
source for trade leads, news, events, and a link library of 5,000+ sites
related to
international trade.

My name is John McDonnell, and for years I've been writing about useful Web
sites for
businesspeople, in various publications. Now I've focused on international
trade, using
my Web research skills to find sites that are useful for international
businesspeople,
and some sites that are just plain fun for anyone.

Here are the sites:

OUR FEATURED COUNTRY SITE -- THE NETHERLANDS
http://www.usatrade.gov/website/CCG.nsf/ShowCCG?OpenForm&Country=NETHERLANDS

If I say, "the Netherlands" and you immediately think of tulips, dikes, and
wooden shoes, think again. This country of 16 million people has a strong
tradition of international trade going back centuries, and is today one of the
top dozen trading countries in the world. The Netherlands ranks eighth in
imports of goods and services from the U.S., making it one of America's biggest
trading partners.
If you want to investigate trade opportunities with the Netherlands, a good
place to look is the U.S. Commercial Service Country Commercial Guide to the
Netherlands (
<http://www.usatrade.gov/website/CCG.nsf/ShowCCG?OpenForm&Country=NETHERLANDS>
). This site has everything you need to get started: detailed information on
the country's political environment, economic trends, trade regulations, and
investment climate, plus a schedule of trade events, business contacts, and
much more.
There are many more links to the Netherlands at the FITA site. Go to
<http://fita.org/webindex/index.html>, click on Regional Resources and
Multi-Lateral Trading Areas in the left column, then scroll down to Europe and
click on Netherlands in the drop- down box. Or simply type "Netherlands" in the
search box at <http://www.fita.org>.

DISEASE OUTBREAK NEWS -- SARS
http://www.who.int/csr/don/en/

As I write this, there is breaking news that the cause of Severe Acute
Respiratory Syndrome, or SARS, has been identified. It's an unfortunate fact
that the ease of modern air travel has meant people can spread disease around
the world more rapidly than ever before. If you travel, or if you just want to
stay updated on the spread of contagious diseases, go to Disease Outbreak News
<http://www.who.int/csr/don/en/> ( http://www.who.int/csr/don/en/ ). This site,
created by the World Health Organization, gives the latest news and reports on
diseases worldwide. Besides breaking news (a lot about SARS), there are reports
on the response to outbreaks of disease, preparedness for chemical or
biological warfare, drug resistant strains of disease, profiles of various
diseases, and much more.
And here's another site with facts on SARS. Medlineplus
<http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/severeacuterespiratorysyndrome.html> (
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/severeacuterespiratorysyndrome.html ) has a
whole page of links to news and analysis about the disease.

THE EUROPEAN BUSINESS DIRECTORY
500,000 companies in 33 countries
http://www.europages.com <http://xis.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?uz327937Biz57522>
EUROPAGES <http://xis.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?uz327937Biz57522> is a business
directory listing 500,000 companies selected for their import-export dynamism
in all business sectors in over 35 European countries. EUROPAGES is an ideal
tool for finding new clients, suppliers and partners: it is a popular reference
guide with European purchasing directors. Europages.com
<http://xis.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?uz327937Biz57522>, your connection to the
business world !
One single ad in EUROPAGES generates an average of 102 business contacts in one
year. People like Peter from Denmark say, "EUROPAGES is our best investment for
export." Click here <http://xis.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?uz327937Biz57523> to learn
about how your company can be featured in EUROPAGES.

THE TRANSPORTATION DIRECTORY
http://www.transport911.com/

Selling your product is only half the story, when it comes to international
trade. The rest is getting your product to the buyer, on time and in good
condition. For that you need the services of a transportation company -- and
that's where this next site comes in. The Transportation Directory
<http://www.transport911.com/> ( http://www.transport911.com/ ) has lists of
companies you need to deal with to get your product from Point A to Point B.
There are links to air cargo companies, freight brokers, freight forwarders,
intermodal cartage, and truckers, to name just a few. There are phone and Fax
numbers, and Web addresses (where available) for each listing.

INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATION FOR STANDARDIZATION (ISO)
http://www.iso.ch/iso/en/ISOOnline.frontpage

There are thousands, maybe even millions, of credit cards in the world, and yet
they're all the same size and thickness. My teenage daughter doesn't care about
this when she's charging her latest budget-busting purchase, but I got curious
about it recently, so I went to the Web site of the International Organization
for Standardization (ISO) <http://www.iso.ch/iso/en/ISOOnline.frontpage> (
http://www.iso.ch/iso/en/ISOOnline.frontpage ). The ISO is the federation that
oversees standards for products worldwide (including credit card thickness), to
"facilitate the international exchange of goods and services". It's a good bet
that the ISO affects you if you're involved in international trade. This site
is a good place to find news and information about standardization issues, read
up on the 13,700 standards covered by ISO, and get standards information
relevant to your industry in online forums.

If you'd like to search back issues of Really Useful Sites for International
Trade Professionals, there's a search page at
http://fita.org/useful/search.html
<http://xis.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?uz327937Biz57520>.

If you'd like to see all back issues of Really Useful Sites for International
Trade Professionals, the full list is at http://www.fita.org/useful/archives
<http://xis.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?uz327937Biz57521>.

Please feel free to pass this newsletter on to others.

Published by Federation of International Trade Associations
Copyright © 2003 Federation of International Trade Associations. All rights
reserved.

 <http://xis.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?uz327937Biz57506>

TELL A FRIEND -- http://fita.m.xtenit.com/friend.jsp?uid=327937&appid=240&j=5973

--------
Modify your preferences or unsubscribe here:

http://fita.m.xtenit.com/al.jsp?vk=fnk4tuVQ&address@hidden&an=240