grub-devel

Re: RFC Patch [0/2] PXE Add support for proxy DHCP

From: Alkis Georgopoulos
Subject: Re: RFC Patch [0/2] PXE Add support for proxy DHCP
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2019 17:04:24 +0200

Sorry I just joined the list, the original thread that I reply to is:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2014-04/msg00091.html

Thousands of LTSP installations use proxy DHCP to netboot clients.
Unfortunately grub has a bug and tries to use the real DHCP as the TFTP server, instead of the proxy DHCP, and fails to fetch grub.cfg.

The proposed patch by Mroczek, Joseph T addressed this issue,
and Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko replied that he even had a better one.
Why weren't they merged? Could I help with testing or something?

It'll be extremely valuable now with UEFI, and especially with secure boot, since shimx64.efi > grubnetx64.efi is essentially the only option there.

The respective commit in shim was:
https://github.com/rhboot/shim/commit/5f4fd5364109c80934b7837255ddde61f572fd69

Thanks,
Alkis Georgopoulos
LTSP developer

--
Replying to this message:

Re: RFC Patch [0/2] PXE Add support for proxy DHCP