grub-devel

Re: Fixing GRUB build issues on SPARC

From: Daniel Kiper
Subject: Re: Fixing GRUB build issues on SPARC
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 12:27:19 +0100

Hey,

CC-ing Eric.

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 12:24:43PM +0100, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Since GRUB is still failing to build from source on SPARC targets due the
> fact that binutils upstream dropped support for a.out on SPARC [1, 2, 3],
> I have begun working on integrating the elftoaout [4] utility into the GRUB
> source tree to use the tool to convert ELF images to a.out during boot.
>
> Would integrating elftoaout into the GRUB source tree be an acceptable
> solution
> to address the build issue or would anyone rather like to see a different
> approach to address the build issue?

I am afraid that we do not have better solution here. So, let's try
that. However, there is another question. Should we use elftoaout tool
even if older binutils package is installed in the system? Should not we
fallback to binutils then? Hmmm... Probably it is batter to have an
uniform build method regardless of the version of binutils installed.
Hence, elftoaout is the way to go...

Daniel