Re: gropdf : missing colour when used with HDTBL macros

From: Bjarni Ingi Gislason
Subject: Re: gropdf : missing colour when used with HDTBL macros
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 17:34:11 +0000

On Thu, Dec 14, 2023 at 11:02:50PM +0000, Deri wrote:
> On Thursday, 14 December 2023 22:35:26 GMT Bjarni Ingi Gislason wrote:
> >   File examples in
> >
> > https://list.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2023-12/msg00013.html
> >
> > with subject "Groff hdtbl tables disappear near the footer".
> >
> >   /usr/bin/groff -Tpdf -ms -mhdtbl hdtbl-issue.ms > hdtbl-issue.pdf
> >
> >   Output does not have a "coloured" header "Professional
> > Experience" (but black on white background) as the PostScript
> > output file.
> >
> > -.-.
> >
> > /usr/bin/groff -Tpdf --version:
> >
> > GNU groff version 1.23.0
> > Copyright (C) 2022 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> > [...]
> > called subprograms:
> >
> > GNU troff (groff) version 1.23.0
> > GNU gropdf (groff) version 1.23.0
>
> Hi Bjarni,
>
> If you look in hdtbl-issue-macros.ms you will see:-
>
> .ds ACCENT "\X'ps: exec .1 .3 .6 setrgbcolor'
> .ds GREY "\X'ps: exec .7 .7 .7 setrgbcolor'
> .ds DGREY "\X'ps: exec .3 .3 .3 setrgbcolor'
> .ds RED "\X'ps: exec 1 0 0 setrgbcolor'
> .ds BLUE "\X'ps: exec 0 0 1 setrgbcolor'
> .ds BLACK "\X'ps: exec 0 0 0 setrgbcolor'
> .ds WHITE "\X'ps: exec 1 1 1 setrgbcolor'
> .defcolor textcolor rgb #353535
> .defcolor linecolor rgb #a1a1a1
>
> The first 7 lines are defined as postscript commands which are not parsed by
> gropdf. Its man page documents the particular \X'ps: ..." which are
> understood.
>
> The last two colours use normal groff colour definitions. I'm not too sure
> why
> most of the colours are done as postscript commands, but this sort of
> postscript used to be the only way to get colours from groff, before Werner
> added the colour commands, so it may be old code.
>
> Cheers
>
> Deri

  Thanks for this enlightenment.

  Thus, the "gropdf" should warn if it can't complete the
conversion, for example by adding a case where the tag 'ps:' does
not match any processed case.

  The same for any tag, that is not processed.

  And the manual should not state that
"     All other ps: tags are silently ignored."