Re: Groff hdtbl tables disappear near the footer

From: Deri
Subject: Re: Groff hdtbl tables disappear near the footer
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2023 18:24:38 +0000

On Tuesday, 5 December 2023 16:57:26 GMT Mike wrote:
> > Can you prepare a pair of exhibits for us to test?  One that doesn't
> > show the problem, and one with as minimal a change as you can make to
> > cause it to happen?
>
> Yes. I am attaching 3 documents:
>
>    - A stripped down section of the CV template (hdtbl-issue.ms).
>    - A macro file demonstrating the issue (hdtbl-issue-macros.ms).
>    - A macro file demonstrating a temporary fix (hdtbl-issue-macros-
>    working.ms).
>

> The command I have been using to compile:
>
>    groff -ms -m hdtbl hdtbl-issue.ms > hdtbl-issue.ps && ps2pdf hdtbl-
>    issue.ps hdtbl-issue.pdf
>
> Environment: Manjaro Linux
>
> The "working" macro file has only one change. Line 72 contains .ne 1.5i
>
> > Studying the differences between the two and the macros and requests
> > they do or don't call will likely help us to pinpoint the issue.
>
> That would be amazing! Thank you for looking into this.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Mike

Hi Mike,

Seems to work if you add:-

.am pg@top
. t*hm
..

Somewhere near the top of hdtbl-issue.ms. The man page says:-

       A  table  which  does not fit on a partially filled page is printed
automatically on
       the top of the next page if you append the little utility macro  t*hm
to  the  page
       header macro of your document’s main macro package.  For example, say

              .am pg@top
              .  t*hm
              ..

       if you use the ms macro package.