Re: -man fails to use ANSI commands

From: Anton Shepelev
Subject: Re: -man fails to use ANSI commands
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 11:36:09 +0300

G. Branden Robinson to Anton Shepelev:

> > I   wonder   what  Debian user or developer dis-
> > liked those SGR sequences emitted by groff...
>
> Well, here's one of them.
>
>    https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=312935
>
> ...with my lengthy rebuttal and defense of groff's
> behavior.
>
> The  more  I learned, the more I realized just how
> wrong that guy was.

I have read it and agree with you.  `grotty' is  not
an  appendix  to a pager, but a program for printing
direct to  the  terminal.   Most  terminals  support
those basic ANSI control sequences, and many console
programs freely use them.  If a pager cannot  trans-
parently forward them to the terminal, it is a prob-
lem of the pager, not of `grotty', and having a bro-
ken -man configuration by default to just to appease
`less' is stupid.