Re: .Li in mdoc(7), was: `\c`, mdoc(7), and man(7) extension macros

From: James K. Lowden
Subject: Re: .Li in mdoc(7), was: `\c`, mdoc(7), and man(7) extension macros
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2023 19:31:39 -0500

On Tue, 7 Nov 2023 23:46:43 +0100
Ingo Schwarze <schwarze@usta.de> wrote:

> The standard way to write this is:
>
>   .Op Fl D Ar name Ns Op = Ns Ar value
>   .Ar is an in-line macro.  Consequently, its scope only extends
>   to the next macro on the same input line or to the end of the
>   input line, whichever comes earlier.

I think I see.  If the value argument is not optional, would this serve
as well

   .Op Fl D Ar name Ns = Ns Ar value

because the 1st Ar is terminated by the 1st Ns ?

I thought I had seen cases where that didn't hold, but maybe not, and
shorter is better.

(I don't like "Sy =", for logical and asthetic reasons.  Logically,
it's not a "symbol", in that it doesn't stand for anything but itself.
And I don't want it to appear in boldface, because it needs no
emphasis.)

--jkl