gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Unable to run gpsd as service without -N flag

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Unable to run gpsd as service without -N flag
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2019 12:21:51 -0700

Yo Matthew!

On Tue, 9 Apr 2019 08:33:10 -0400
Matthew Parrilla <address@hidden> wrote:

> Thank you for the explanation. I should have guessed I wasn't
> understanding systemd properly! I'll stick with -N and will add -n.

I did some more digging.  You were also right about the u-blox driver
doing a hard reset of the GPS on exit.  This may explain some other
bad behavior, so I'll look at it.

Also, now that their are four SBAS (US), three not in testing, prolly
no more need for the e-blox driver to also enable the testing SBAS.
That made sense when they just launched, not so much now.

And as for turning off SBAS.  On the u-blox, SBAS is not just SBAS,
it also includes EGNOS (EU).  Using that will speed up GPS start.

> On Sat, Apr 6, 2019 at 8:05 PM Gary E. Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Yo Matthew!
> >
> > On Fri, 5 Apr 2019 17:14:10 -0400
> > Matthew Parrilla <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi there, I'm trying to run gpsd as a systemd service on Ubuntu
> > > 18.04 but am unable to do so without the -N flag.
> >
> > That is how systemd "works".  By not putting gpsd in the background
> > it knows when gpsd exits for any reason.
> >
> > > ExecStart=/usr/sbin/gpsd -N -r udp://192.168.1.206:60001
> >
> > You really want the -n flag too.
> >
> > > address@hidden:~$ sudo systemctl stop gpsd.service
> > > Warning: Stopping gpsd.service, but it can still be activated by:
> > >   gpsd.socket
> >
> > Which means your service file is broken.  YOu removed part, but not
> > all, of the gpsd.socket stuff.
> >
> > RGDS
> > GARY
> > Gary E. Miller Rellim 109 NW Wilmington Ave., Suite E, Bend, OR
> > 97703 address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588
> >
> >             Veritas liberabit vos. -- Quid est veritas?
> >     "If you can’t measure it, you can’t improve it." - Lord Kelvin

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588