gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Re-scan devices on client connect?

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Re-scan devices on client connect?
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2019 12:53:58 -0700

Yo Larry!

On Sat, 6 Apr 2019 09:10:34 -0400
Larry Boyd <address@hidden> wrote:

> This question mainly applies to systems that do not implement dbus,
> or use ports that don't trigger dbus events, like UART.

Maybe you mean systems that do not implement udev?  dbus is a
protocol for dekstops.

> When gpsd is started with a list of devices to probe for hardware,
> and it turns out that none of those devices are present at the time,
> then it removes those paths from the list and never re-adds them
> except if you manually re-add them using gpsctl.

Sounds right to me.  gpsd has dropped root priviledges and can't open
devices anymore.

> It would be nice if it could re-add the original device list
> automatically when a client connects, if the current device list is
> empty.

Which is what udev is for, to add devices as they appear.  Maybe you can
add a cronjob to keep rerunning gpsctl?

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588