gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] ✘Some GPS to fail on April 6 GPS rollover

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] ✘Some GPS to fail on April 6 GPS rollover
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2019 13:14:07 -0700

Yo Mike!

On Tue, 2 Apr 2019 20:49:21 +0100
Mike Tubby <address@hidden> wrote:

> Its worse than that ...

yes, for some.

> Firstly, some older receivers will stop working altogether, while
> others will output wrong week numbers forever. We're talking old
> Rockwell receivers and old Trimble receivers like the S-Vee-Six, ACE,
> ACE-II.

Actually, I know a lot of people that still use the Trimbles that
failed in 1999, last GPS rollover.  They still have some of the
best PPS, just ignore the date.

> Another class of GPS receivers fails to work in week zero but
> recovers when we get back to week no. 1 - some of these are used in
> Spectracom frequency and time master clocks and run for a whole week
> in 'hold over'.

And some Telits will fail in November 2019 due to a hard coded
rollover in their firmware.  From the fixes to the last rollover.

> Your Mileage [or Week Number] May Vary ;-)

Yup.  Fingers crossed.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588