gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Providing just the stream handling?

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Providing just the stream handling?
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2018 11:21:39 -0700

Yo Lisandro!

On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 11:28:14 -0300
Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm using a Qt5 based application. I would love to use Qt5's
> QTcpSocket's signals to avoid polling gpsd.

Easy to avoid polling gpsd.  It ode not hve a polling interface.

> For what I could read on gpsd's code it *might* be possible to give
> the user the full processed data stream so the user could use
> whatever method he likes to handle it.

That is what the gpsd client libs are for.

> For example, a method for properly setting up struct gps_data_t, a
> methos for creating the right payload in order to create a stream
> (ie, what gps_stream does but just returning the payload and letting
> the user send it), etc.

That is what the C client does.

> I see there is already gps_unpack(), but I *think* I'm missing the
> rest.

Depending on whether you are using C or Python, look in cgps or
xgps to see how it works.

> Any insights would be welcomed (I think *maybe* it can be implemented
> as a another backed, like GPSD_SHARED_MEMORY or GPSD_DBUS_EXPORT).

For basic shared memory interface look in libgps_shm.c.  For dbus look in
libgps_dbus.c

Each of the interfaces is different.

RGDS
GARY