gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘SiRFstarV

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘SiRFstarV
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2019 11:14:45 -0800

Yo William!

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 19:20:11 +0100
William Smith <address@hidden> wrote:

> I use "sudo scons install" in Ubuntu 18.04 and install
> it on top of an existing installation for the systemd
> integration.

Ah, well, there's your problem.  That does not work.

> When I do an apt-get remove --purge gpsd
> it is missing the systemd configuration to start it from
> systemctl

So, either keep a copy before you uninstall the distro gpsd, or
use the files from gpsd tar ball in the systemd/ subdirectory.

You can't use the distro systemd file because the distro gpsd is
not installed in the same place as the gpsd that you build.

Distro packages go in /usr.  User installed packages go in /usr/local.
This is all part of the File Handling Standard (FHS).

> Apparently "sudo scons install" misses something somewhere.

No, you did.  And try to break that sudo habit, it will continue
to byte you.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588