gnuzilla-dev

Re: telemetry is active or partially active

From: chippy
Subject: Re: telemetry is active or partially active
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 11:14:33 +0100

> See more here:
>
> https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org/toolkit/components/telemetry/internals/preferences.html
>
> We also found some pings data being recorded on the browser.
>
> And it was all disabled with this commit:
>
> https://gitlab.trisquel.org/trisquel/package-helpers/-/commit/262301faf6ff77768d4c298058238da0604db857
>
> Hopefully that will help you remove such behavior on IceCat.

That's very helpful.
Not sure about other platforms, but on windows, after install, at first
run, Icecat made connection to incoming.telemetry.mozilla.org.

I found that the telemetry url is hardcoded pretty much all over.

I looked at the git commit  you suggested and it is clearly visible
that in makeicecat something like this is missing.
```
# Disable telemetry pings
grep -rl TELEMETRY_BASE_URL | xargs -r sed -i
's|"https://incoming.telemetry.mozilla.org/submit";|""|'
grep -rl '"https://incoming.telemetry.mozilla.org";'| xargs -r sed -i
's|"https://incoming.telemetry.mozilla.org";|"http://127.0.0.1";|'
```

I was actually doing that yesterday. Lookin around for the telemetry
url(s) and try to add some find/grep/sed commands to makeicecat in
order to remove or change those.

I'll see if I can submit a patch proposal.
Thank you

Chip