Re: GNUstep Site Redesign

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: GNUstep Site Redesign
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 23:38:02 +0000

"Stefan Bidigaray" <address@hidden> wrote:
> When trying to create the different text for each page, I came to the
> conclusion that having a menu system like that of Savannah (that is,
> whenever you hover over one of the options, an actual menu pops out) would
> be really useful.

Three things:

Firstly, that sounds like "Mystery Meat navigation" to me
http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/mysterymeatnavigation.html
- for example, I'd never noticed the Savannah pop-out menus before
and I'm a member of a few projects there.  There's nothing to indicate
those submenus exist before they pop-out.

Secondly, GNUstep menus don't pop-out on hover, for good reason IMO.
One alternative is to make it look like GNUstep menus, with arrows and
so on, but when I trialled a design which looked/felt like the GNUstep
menu, it was pretty heavily flamed, so I doubt using pop-out menus
would be popular.

Finally, Savannah's menus don't use Javascript and nor should ours.
But this is possible with CSS only (maybe with a little JS fix for IE)
if you want to do it.

I could be wrong, of course, but be cautious if you go that way.

Regards,