Re: gnustep / solaris only? / win32 - cygnwin / steptalk vs Fscript / d

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: gnustep / solaris only? / win32 - cygnwin / steptalk vs Fscript / darwin/x86 vs vmware
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 09:15:55 -0600

david faibish wrote:
1b) is there no prospect for a a native win32 implemetation? ... it is completely absent from your how2 list - http://www.gnustep.org/resources/documentation/GNUstep-HOWTO

MinGW/MSYS is probably as native as we'll get, since we need to use gcc. This is a pretty good combo since it leaves you libraries free of any copyright restrictions.

The GUI part is still pretty alpha though.

1c) why is the cygwin-xfree/86 release described as (especially) unstable ... while ALL the other platforms dont seem to have this problem?

There are several that are unstable. Cygwin isn't especially so (although we prefer MingW). Perhaps I should divide it more into, unstable and "not tested often". Cygwin is in the latter category.

1d) i saw a reference on one of the gnustep related sites to vmware -- but not sure where that url is, and not sure if it was for bsd/x86 as a host or target -- could you please clarify?

I think that was where we got NeXT/OPENSTEP running on vmware so we could do some testing on caompatibility. I could probably find the reference if you want more info.

2) your site is this first one i have seen to mention a native scripting language (steptalk) for objectiveC ... up until now, i thought only FScript was the only native scripting language

3a) is anyone giving some thought to packaging a distro (installer, configuration manager, GCC compiler/make/link etc, the IDE, userland apps, etc) that is a "simple" as some of the better linux distros? ...

You can look at

http://simplygnustep.sourceforge.net/

Also, debian probably has the most complete set of GNUstep packages. We probably should emphasize this more though.

--
Adam Fedor, Digital Optics Corp.      | I'm glad I hate spinach, because
http://www.doc.com                    | if I didn't, I'd eat it, and you