Re: libs-base fails to compile on OpenBSD

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: libs-base fails to compile on OpenBSD
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 00:55:32 +0100

Hi Wolfgang,

Wolfgang Lux wrote:
To be honest, no. The runtime.c file unconditionally includes objc-api.h, so
it's obviously not supposed to compiled with a compiler that lacks the
objc-api.h header file. So it doesn't really matter if the compiler would find
the header from a different compiler version because the file shouldn't be
compiled in the first place.:-)

indeed this is tricky.

First I tried renaming runtime.c to runtime.m and compile it with ObjC.

It does not fix the issue.

then I tried including thr.h instead of objc-api.h and thr.h, but it is not enough, one symbnol I miss is in runtime.h
If I include that, I get tons of redefinitions, likle this:

In file included from runtime.m:36:0:
/usr/local/lib/gcc/i386-unknown-openbsd6.4/4.9.4/include/objc/runtime.h:284:20: error: conflicting types for 'object_getIndexedIvars'
 objc_EXPORT void * object_getIndexedIvars (id object);
                    ^

I wonder a bit what kind of magic we are doing there: I actually wonder how it works elsewhere where I use even more modern GCC.

Riccardo