Re: corebase: use __builtin___CFStringMakeConstantString when available?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: corebase: use __builtin___CFStringMakeConstantString when available?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2017 07:55:23 +0100

> On 28 Jun 2017, at 01:19, Daniel Ferreira (theiostream) <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>

> If we choose not to implement this right now due to the complexity
> being too large, I suppose I *can* export these constant strings as
> Objective-C string literals. But it'd still be weird for a CF-only
> library to rely on ObjC to export its CFStringRefs. :(

I actually think that's the best option ... it's very quick/simple, and afaik
we have no intention/policy of ever supporting Carbon beyond the minimum
required to support the ObjC (and possibly Swift in future) frameworks.
I imagine we'd happily change that policy if some really active developer
*wanted* to implement loads of plain C code (and it's be their problem), but
until/unless that happens it seems safe to assume the presence of ObjC.