Re: GNUstep Make still passing -fgnu-runtime

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUstep Make still passing -fgnu-runtime
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 08:21:20 +0100

> On 16 Aug 2015, at 17:36, Ivan Vučica <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> sure how correct or useful this is. I'm specifying this:
>   $ ./configure --with-layout=fhs --enable-debug-by-default
> --enable-objc-nonfragile-abi --enable-native-objc-exceptions --prefix=/usr
>
> I guess I'm supposed to manually specify the ng-gnu-gnu combo?

Yes … this is the idea people seemed to like at the meeting in cambridge way
back … having a ‘next generation’ runtime setting for building with clang and
all the cutting-edge ObjC2 etc features.

A naive response to David’s request for -fobjc-runtime= would simply break most
compilations, since it’s a new clang-specific command line argument.  We can
only use -fobjc-runtime= where we are using a suitable verasion of clang … and
the idea is thaty configuring then  ‘ng’ runtime should eventually ensure that
a suitable compiler is used to build the code (unless you explicitly override
with the CC environment variable of course, in which case it’s your own
responsibility to make sure you use the correct compiler).

> Otherwise I still get:
>
> configure:5968: checking whether we should use the nonfragile ABI
> configure:5998: clang -c  -fobjc-runtime=gnustep-1.7 -x objective-c -I.
> -I/usr/include   -L/usr/lib -fgnu-runtime -DGNU_RUNTIME -fobjc-nonfragile-abi
>  conftest.c >&5
>
> How do I go about that? And should we really be adding a completely new
> combo?

Well, I think so (nobody proposed a better way) … the idea is that it will know
which compiler and compiler flags to use to have all the latest stuff … so
people will be able to depend on having all the new features.

> I see the new environment variable OBJC_RUNTIME_LIB being used in 38887,
> which, if used with value of 'ng', seems to be activating 'libobjc2'-specific
> code. I think this should be documented in INSTALL and announced widely.

It would perhaps be nice to get it all working first; any idea how to add a
mechanism to easily enable/disable builds with ARC?
I would like an ‘ng’ build to use ARC by default, but that’s not so easy to
update existing libraries/apps for.