Re: Proposal: Switch back to savannah using GIT

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Proposal: Switch back to savannah using GIT
Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 18:04:53 +0200

Hi,

Fred Kiefer wrote:
What is the problem with binary files with git? Would our image files be
affected? We have plenty of them in gui (tiff, gif, icns) and it would
be great to know in advance that these wont get corrupted.

no they should not corrupt.

I am not so worried about images, but binary encoded stuff, like gorm or nib files.

A post I found said like this:

From personal experience I can conclude that both systems handle big binaries almost/equally mediocre/with with a*slight*advantage from SVN (for pre-1.7 versions, now I don't see at Git side at all):

 * the same modified file, committed to repository, increased the size
   of the SVN repository slightly smaller than Git-repository
 * I never had broken SVN-repo with big files, with Git it
   happened/noticeable/amount of time

Riccardo