getting Class of an Ivar

From: Doug Warren
Subject: getting Class of an Ivar
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 07:30:13 -0700

There's some code I need to port that was written for the Apple Objective-C runtime which basically calls  ivar_getTypeEncoding checks that it matchs the format @"foo" and if so calls objc_getClass("foo").  With the GnuStep runtime that is only returning @.  Is there any way to get the class of the ivar or how is the encoding determined if we wanted to modify our copy to match Apple's implementation?