Re: Localization of special directories

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: Localization of special directories
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 15:41:03 +0100

Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Luboš Doležel wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> on Linux & related systems, the correct way is to use
>> ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs
>>
>> I couldn't find more information on this, but I think I've heard about
>> desktop environments (in the future) using only English folder names
>> physically, but doing some trickery to display localized names.
>>
> "localizing on display" is another approach of course, but I think it is
> wrong, I like a physical mapping of folders. Especially for those
> working in console, it becomes confusing.

I have to disagree. If you work in multiple locales anything other than
localizing on display will end up in a mess. Imagine having two different
Desktop folders or, even worse, two different Library folders!

> Perhaps the first thing to verify is if NSXXXXDirectory returns a
> localized name on Mac. The documentation is not very clear. It says for
> example:
>
> NSDocumentDirectory
> Document directory.
> Available in OS X v10.2 and later.

I haven't tested this, but I would be very much surprised if these functions
return a localized name because you should be able to use these names for
referring to physical folders on disk and OS X does localization on display.

Wolfgang