Re: Tooltips in save panels

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Tooltips in save panels
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 23:49:37 +0100

Hi,

Fred Kiefer wrote:
On 18.02.2013 12:25, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

I think the root of this problem isn't even in gui. A timer gets set up for the tooltip via the NSTimer method
-scheduledTimerWithTimeInterval:target:selector:userInfo:repeats:
That method uses the runmode NSDefaultRunLoopMode for the timer. While a modal window gets displayed gui requests events in the NSModalPanelRunLoopMode and the timer wont get fired. Now this behaviour matches the Apple documentation, but results in the tooltip never getting displayed.

when you write "this behaviour matches Apple" do you mean our timer is acting correct but we are using the wrong one?

Riccardo
To work around this behaviour gui should create the timer via -timerWithTimeInterval:target:selector:userInfo:repeats: and add it to the runloop itself for different modes.