Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r31321 - in /tools/make/trunk: ChangeLog GNUstep.conf.

From: Matt Rice
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r31321 - in /tools/make/trunk: ChangeLog GNUstep.conf.in configure configure.ac
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 04:42:06 -0700

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 3:01 AM, Nicola Pero
<address@hidden> wrote:

>> Remember, I'm not advocating switching to FHS as the default ... I'm
>> advocating switching to using
>> the native layout as our default.  For systems where FHS is not native, we
>> would need to add another
>> layout file.
>
> If this is for new users, having a common layout used almost everywhere may
> help them as it's easier
> to find information.  So I'm not too keen to push this 'native' layout idea.

I would concurr,

the idea is that if (f(x) != f(x)) something is wrong, the system has
some form of outside influence, 2 users giving the same input come to
different results.

an associated problem is optional dependencies

the right questions to ask when diagnosing problems should be "what
did you do?" not:
"what is x in magic place, I cannot tell you where to find it .
without information y", because a user generally can give you a vague
idea of what they did.

in otherwords, I think it is important for the build system to be a
pure function to the extent possible given the existence of system
differences.