Re: Bug in software index?

From: Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: Bug in software index?
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 09:44:46 +0200

Hi Stefan,

Am 29.05.2010 um 01:44 schrieb Stef Bidi:

I think I might have found a bug in the software index. In the main page it states "Tool(3)" but when I click on it there are 4 tools listed under that category: FTP, Terminal, TimeMon and Zipper. All other categories seem to behave as expected, though.

Yes, that is an interesting "bug".

The reason appears to be that the "TimeMon" tool has a newer version 4.1. But the new version belongs to the category "System Tools". So this appears to mix up the counting. I.e. the category counter takes each application only once, counting the latest category. Which gives a "3". But search by category lists all applications of this category, taking the newest one only. Thus, a double-category app shows up differently...

Maybe, we can fix this when moving the SWI to GSWeb (which hasn't made much progress so far). See: http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/User:IOOI/GNUstepSoftwareIndex

On a different note, maintainers need to get back in the habit of updating the index. Right now, the last thing on there is the GNUstep core libraries... and I know there have been apps released recently.

And, the reviewers (e.g. me) of SWI should be faster to approve changes (there is sometimes "spam" who wants to have apps deleted, so we need this review process). I think I should add a mail-notification to the reviewers that changes are available.

BR,
NIkolaus