Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r30407 - in /libs/gui/trunk: ChangeLog Source/NSApplic

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r30407 - in /libs/gui/trunk: ChangeLog Source/NSApplication.m
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 23:28:32 +0200

Hi Fred,

Greg discussed this changed with me. We conducted tests on Mac, he also tested on OpenStep. We consulted Apple's documentation.
I believe this change does the wrong thing. If I understand correctly
what your code is trying to do, it loops over all the arguments to the
process, ignoring the ones that start with a "-", which most likely are
command switches, gathers them all up and then tries to open then.

This sounds fine until you realize that GNUstep gui already had some
command line argument processing. For example, we allow for files to get
printed and this wont be possible any more with your code.
The just open them all approach may improve things for people doing
simple things, but breaks stuff for everybody who knows about this
special features of GNUstep.

While we preserve the options like -NSPath, the concept is to iterate up to the first argument starting with "-", which is considered an option. The filenames found up to that points are passed to the application.

This way "openapp" behaves sensibly too.

Riccardo