Re: [flame] NEWS file is useless

From: Derek Fawcus
Subject: Re: [flame] NEWS file is useless
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 12:27:20 -0800

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009, Nicola Pero wrote:
> I also occasionally work on gnustep-make offline, and the subversion
> logs are not available offline, while ChangeLogs are.

Dare I say it,  but the obvious answer to that is a DVCS,
of which hg and git spring to mind.

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 11:08:01AM +0000, Nicola Pero wrote:
> By the way, presumably we'd still include the author of the change in
> the subversion commit message ?

I'm not sure about the hg metadata (not having used it much yet),
but certainly in git the commits inherently save author and commitor
as seperate fields.  But I guess the multiple author case you
mention would snooker it.

> I'm personally not too convinced.  I guess it must be because I don't
> use any tools based on subversion logs so I don't see a particular benefit.

For personal stuff,  I've been playing with git recently,  which I've
found useful for a program I've been testing/writing on both OSX & Linux.
I _have_ found the ability to view commit logs (having produced suitably
verbose commit messages) across arbitrary periods to be useful.

(and the lack of such verbose commit logs at work has been a
 personal gripe of mine - but then the vcs system in use sucks).

/phx