-lpthread

From: David Chisnall
Subject: -lpthread
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 15:43:10 +0100

Hi,

It seems that recent GNUstep does not supply the -lpthread flag to the linker, just -pthread. The semantics of -pthread are really badly defined - on some platforms it does nothing, on some it sets some macros, on some it implies -lpthread, on others it does not.

The problem I am encountering is that libobjc and foundation both depend on pthread symbols, but are not being linked against the pthread library. Is it possible to modify the configure script for gnustep-base so that it will link directly against libpthread? Otherwise we end up with apps that make no direct use of threads failing to build because they have an indirect dependency.

David