Re: Next release

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Next release
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 17:35:07 -0700

On Mar 2, 2008, at 3:51 AM, Riccardo wrote:
About stable, since I gather Debian tracks stable (?) it would be nice to have some of the printing stuff backported to stable: PRICE doesn't compile against current debian packages. But it is just my guess: htey have an reasonably up to date base, but a horrid old gui and I thought it was that they track stable.

Debian stable has pretty old stuff. The Debian testing release has our latest "stable" packages, which I am now noticing are almost a year old (from initial release). Perhaps we could think about making a new stable branch...

Although (my two cents), the "unstable" label is a bit of a misnomer, in the vast majority of cases, you could probably install any new unstable release, and your old apps would work fine without a recompile (aside from the so name change). Although we could do a little better with ABI compatibility, for the most part, only API changes happen in the unstable branch...