GNUstep desktop?

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: GNUstep desktop?
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 17:44:38 +0100

In the LWN issue of December 13th I found a mentioning of GNUstep and a
link to the GNU page where RMS recommends the GNUstep live CD:

http://www.gnu.org/links/links.html#FreeGNULinuxDistributions

It surely is nice to get mentioned there, but the Live CD is already a
bit outdated and the words used by RMS may not go well with all GNUstep
developers:

"GNUstep, a GNU/Linux distribution using the GNUStep desktop. Its
initial purpose was to serve as a free implementation of the OpenStep
framework."

RMS himself is taking great care that everybody else in the world is
using the term GNU/Linux instead of just Linux and he even showed up at
our stall at the FOSDEM to set a poor Etoile developer straight who had
used the world Linux. Perhaps our project leader should contact RMS and
tell him about the difficulties of using GNUstep and desktop as a single
phrase? No retaliation of course, just getting the message across. If
RMS wont understand what GNUstep is, how could we ever teach the rest of
the world?