Re: make help

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: make help
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 00:04:05 +0100 (CET)

> I like this one.  In fact, you could have a msg like this:
>
>     GNUstep make (version x.xx); please type "make help=yes" for help.
>
> That would serve 3 purposes -- tell invoker that GNUstep make is being
> used (in case they care), the version, and how to get help.

Thanks ... that was a great suggestion; I had a pending patch implementing it,
which I have now committed. :-)

The message is

address@hidden Resources]$ make
This is gnustep-make 1.13.0. Type 'make print-gnustep-make-help' for help.
make: Nothing to be done for `all'.
address@hidden Resources]$

The target name is inspired by Dennis suggestion for using print-xxx for
targets printing
stuff; to avoid conflicts with targets that users might have added (or might
add in the future)
I went for a rather long target name ('print-gnustep-make-help'). ;-)

The target to print a gnustep-make variable (which can then be used to compute
compile/link
flags) will have a similar name, maybe something like
'print-gnustep-make-variable' ? :-)

I'm not entirely settled on the name, so if anyone has got a very clever
suggestion, it would
be welcome.

Thanks