Re: GNUstep bounty

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: GNUstep bounty
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 08:48:17 +0200

Hi,

Citát Fred Kiefer <address@hidden>:

> Hi Adam,
>
> Adam Fedor wrote:
> > I've put together a list of projects that I'd like to get finished, and
> > that we perhaps could use some of our money for. If you'd like to help
> > fill this out, let me know.
> >

> the idea of bounties for contributions to GNUstep is ok with me, but I
> think that we should break down the parts we offer bounties for in
> smaller pieces. If I understand you correctly this is what you are
> suggesting with the list of deliverables. When we publish the bounty
> list we need links to detailed descriptions of these deliverables.
> Otherwise people may get frustrated with the big tasks and not start at all.
> What I don't understand are the price differences between the items.
> While is sound support more valuable then text converters?
>
> Overall the list of bounty items looks fine to me.

Even I am not the one who should decide about this issue, I have a suggestion.
Fred is asking very important question about the price differences.

Take for example, how I and my colegues are doing it when we have to deal with
real projects - in tenders. We usualy have several proposals from 4 or more
software development companies for each request. Some of the companies are
sometimes "shooting prices from the legs", then I ask them to provide more
detailed breakdown of the work. Each item is assigned estimated amount of work
in hours or days and persons. Sometimes it is broken to particular
functionalities. Moreover, each item is assigned a type person performing the
work: analyst, programmer, tester, document writer, ... and each type of person
has its price per day or per hour. From this list a simple summary is computed
to get the price for the whole work. Well, nothing new - quite obvious. Why
would not we use similar approach in OSS project GNUstep?

I would suggest to prepare a wiki page with detailed request for development.
Each request should have:
- name/very short summary
- breakdown table
- contact person from GNUstep core developers who is responsible for that part
and who should be consulted (this is important)

The breakdown tables should contain columns (and perhaps column groups):
- partial task
- estimated amount of work (units)
- type of work (to determine unit price)

At the end of the proposal unit prices should be listed. And at the beginning
of
the proposal a list of basic knowledge required should be mentioned (like in a
job offer ad)

If you would like to do it, do it "the business way".

What I can do is to polish the bounties offer and prepare a nice PDF that can
be
put on the GNUstep site later to attract developers.

Stefan Urbanek

p.s.: If you are really decided to give away money from the GNUstep fund, then
why not to use it for gaining more publicity to GNUstep too? I and perhaps
others, can try to write a slashdot article about (another) OSS project doing
development in a commercial way. What do you think?
--
http://stefan.agentfarms.net

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then
you win.
- Mahatma Gandhi