Deployment Environment

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Deployment Environment
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 01:05:41 +0100

Hi,

I was thinking about automation process of deployment/packaging in
gnustep. I would like to ask, whether the following is possible:

(from http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/GNUstepWishlist)

** Packaging system in GNUstep-make integration

Scripts/bundles/custom extensions to the GNUstep-make so one can do:

 > make package packagetype=deb

 packagetype = deb | rpm | tgz (.tar.gz + installation script) | exe (MS
Windows Install.exe)
 standalone = yes | no

For the standalone solution see below "GNUstep Deployment Environment"

** GNUstep Deployment Environment

An self-sufficient environment where one can build full GNUstep
solution. "Chemical equation" of the process:

Preparation:

                       compilation
 1.) GNUstep sources --------------> Precompiled GNUstep System domaim
 2.) GNUstep system domain + installation scripts --> GNUstep Development
Environment
 3.) GNUstep environment + integration scripts --> GNUstep Deployment
environment

Then one can use the "GNUstep Deploymen Evniornment" package like this:

                      compilation
 1.) ?MyApp sources ----------------> MyApp binary
                                                     integration scripts
 2.) GNUstep Deployment environment + MyApp binary -----------------------> My
GNUstep Solution Environment

And here one has a deployable product "My GNUstep Solution Environment"
with all necessary installation scripts. Variants of the "solutions":

      * GNUstep system domain and my application binary (fully
        functional gnustep environment)
      * Statically linked executable with integrated gnustep (single
        file + resources?)
      * MyApp system-native package with predefined requirements to
        appropriate GNUstep packages for the given environment

How can be similar simple "solution creating process" achieved?

Stefan Urbanek
--
http://stefan.agentfarms.net

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then
you win.
- Mahatma Gandhi