Re: [Gnustep-marketing] GNUstep Foundation

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-marketing] GNUstep Foundation
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 01:42:17 +0100

Le 2 oct. 04, à 01:12, Nicola Pero a écrit :

I don't really think we can have worse marketing than what we have now
(ie, nothing, and confusion between wmaker and gnustep -- remember last
FOSDEM, the number of people that confused windowmaker and gnustep ? I
remember asking some people "do you know this project ?" and they told
me "oh, yes, it's a window manager, I used to have it as my main wm,
are you still working on it ?" ...)

I have always been very happy when they mentioned Window Maker, it sounds
like on of our few strong marketing points.
(snip)
Moreover, I feel most people associate WindowMaker with a lot of positive
sensations.  Smooth, nice, well-designed, functional, simple to use,
intuitive.  Precisely the kind of sensations we want to associate with
GNUstep. So it's not like associating GNUstep with WindowMaker makes it
appear bad, all the contrary.

Hm, I was perhaps unclear. Of course, I'm not bashing WindowMaker (it's my prefered window manager, and I really like it), and I entirely agree with your opinion that we could use the success story of WindowMaker to highlight GNUstep (after all, it _is_ the default
window manager of the project).

I was just answering to MJ Ray -- according to him I was disrespectful with the previous marketing
efforts.

First, I didn't appreciate much because I participated in some of theses efforts, and I think I could express myself on the subject and state what I think of the /impact/ of theses efforts. Beeing realist is not in my view a way of lowering the previous efforts, more a way to
improve them.

Second, I stand by my opinion that the current state of the marketing impact is extremely low. When you have people confounding a window manager for X11 with an OO crossplatform development environment, I don't think you can say our "marketing" works very well.

Apart from that, I agree, at least people associate GNUstep with a good project, an excellent window manager that many liked (and I also agree that it could be a "trojan horse" for GNUstep -- as many people experienced the NeXTSTEP look'n feel with wmaker, they probably are more likely to accept GNUstep's look'n feel.. and marketing-wise, it's a good idea of course to bounce on windowmaker success. Even if technically there is not much relation).

Hope I'm clearer now.

--
Nicolas Roard
 -Arthur C. Clarke